Monday, February 18, 2013

Days at the Restaurant

Well, my days in the beautiful mountains are over except on weekends. I’ll be staying in the city above the restaurant to start working at the hospital. I’ll also be helping at the restaurant. There’s a bed in the back that I sleep on. And because I work at the hospital from 3 pm to 11 pm, I have to stay in town. I needed a few weeks to learn my way around and learn some Spanish...that venture is going slower than I would like...Elsa says I need to listen harder and speak it more no matter how I sound....and not get so frustrated. So this month I’m really going to try to speak it more...I made flashcards...my vocabulary is increasing but my sentence structure is not there yet....verbs, so many verbs!!!!
Yes, it’s true, a vegan restaurant in this poor little city...it’s amazing that as much fruit and vegetables you see on the streets people really don’t incorporate them in their meals. Fruit is more for snacks and vegetables are mostly carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, and lots and lots of potatoes. The restaurant and bakery have actually introduced whole grains, fruit, salads, and more green leafies to the people.

These girls are amazing the way they run that restaurant with almost nothing.
Jessica is happy and grateful with the one sink in the whole restaurant and bakery, but thanks Dean for your special donation for another sink. I’ll send you a picture soon.

Making fruit empañadas
Making savory empañadas. 
Half of the kitchen is a screened in porch... 
Strange for a person used to strict codes, but it's kind of nice too.
Now this I know... people here aren’t really familiar with eating pizza, especially with a whole grain crusts, but they’ve been coming in for it.  It’s one of my jobs to make it every Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment