Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Settling In…



This is Maranatha Medical Ministry where I am staying and helping out for my room and board.

This is the house I'm sharing with two ladies and spiders, scorpions and bugs galore!
This is the view from my room, and that's a lemon tree right outside my door.

This guy was in my hall...adios amigo..mashed to smithereens.  No, that doesn’t bother me...the sweltering heat doesn’t bother me. Neither the lack of electricity, washing clothes by hand ...I actually love that....but....I am still struggling with the ice cold water for showers....yikes.  yes it’s true I’m still sponge bathing. Tomorrow may be the day I get under. I know...what a wimp.
These are some of the sweet workers at the ministry who fixed one of my first meals in the mountains.
Yucca, a salad with their beautiful, organic lettuce, rice, and
another one of my favorite foods that is plentiful around here—avocado.



The above videos are Rosie showing me how to wash clothes in the pila.
This is me washing clothes. It's actually quite relaxing and very therapeutic. 

This is me on my morning walk up the mountain. The views are breathtaking.


This  little 4 ft 11 in lady with her blue truck  almost singlehandedly runs the ministry here. She has worked with the poor people on this mountain for 13 years.  The ministry has a little clinic, church, and of all things in poor Santa  Barbara, a vegetarian restaurant and bakery. They said it couldn’t be done but when God tells you to do something  it will succeed.


Their beautiful organic garden




People don't eat lettuce here, so we're teaching them to eat green leaf vegetables.

1 comment: