Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Checking In

Hi everyone, all is well down here.  It's definitely summer here. I'm sorry about all the trouble with the blog...I did try to warn you though about my tech skills.  If Glesni wasn't with me I don't think there would be a blog at all. These youngsters have to help us old folks with technology.  I really wanted a private blog..but I didn't like what they required you all do... like get a gmail account...so now it's public...so I have to be more careful of my pictures and comments.
There was no water in all of Santa Barbara for a whole day and a half. Some people have tanks I guess...but generally no one skipped a beat...businesses..restaurants. hospitals etc carried on as usual. We would have been in major crises mode in America...everything would have shut down. We Americans went out and bought big bottles of  antibacterial solution. But here...these people just accept and adjust.
 The last few nights it's been raining babies at the hospital. Almost all boys..I've been letting Glesni catch since she will be leaving in a two weeks.  We had another set of twins there..surprise..the mom didn't know she had twins, neither did whoever did her prenatal care - if she had any - but I guess it's good because she would have had a C-section. We also had a little preemie. His mother did not have the money to take the baby to San Pedro Sula to the big Hospital in an ambulance so the baby just died here in the hospital.  It was only $60..if I had it on me I would have paid it myself. I will be sure to carry money next time in case someone needs an ambulance. The huge medical treatment would be free if the baby just got there, but not being able to afford the ambulance keeps them from getting it.
 I will be catching a baby up in the mountains any day now. Th word got out that there is a partera (midwife) up here. Anyway it's not what I planned.... to come down here and be on call. Anyway I just want to do what God wants me to..and he seems to be leading. In some ways there is not much to work with but as far  as drugs..I can just walk in the local drug store and get any thing I want for almost pennies. Lidocaine, pitocin, suture materials. IV stuff etc. You can even get morphine, steroids,  really hard stuff...anything without prescription.
Well... continue to pray for me mi amigos, especially my Spanish. I was hoping to be chatting with you Nina when I get back in Spanish, but as it's going... I don't know.  That's all for now. I have to come over to this little bakery, buy a pastry, and then I can sit here for as long as I want and  use the wifi. I see the American kids from Andrews who work at the REACH orphanage here..we compare notes of our Honduran adventures.
Well...here are some pictures of some of our babies.
.

the babies were coming so fast we had three to a warmer


another one of our precious moms right off the delivery table


lot's of babies



these are our sweet little surprise twins

Talk soon....love hw












No comments:

Post a Comment